As the City of Durban begins preparations to receive assessment teams from the Commonwealth Games Federation, the Bid Company is putting on an awareness campaign targeting mainly children.
On 4-5 April 2015, there will be a series of fun activities for children at the North Beach promenade, the Golden Mile and Kings Park stadium.
The activities will focus on:
- Sand sculptors will build the Durban 2022 logo in the sand coupled with the Moses Mabhida Stadium
- Organizers will assist sand sculptors and provide information on the inspiration behind the logo and encouraging people to support the bid and share pictures on social media tagging @durban2022 and using the #readytoinspire
Face Painting Area
- There will be 2 face painters near the sandcastle area painting the Durban 2022 logo for all those that are willing
- Bid organizers will assist face painters and encouraging people to support the bid and share pictures on social media tagging @durban2022 and using the #readytoinspire
- There will be 4 large puppets walking around the Golden Mile area
- Organizers will accompany these puppets handing out merchandise to create awareness of the Durban 2022 bid and also driving traffic towards the sandcastle area which will be the activation base
- Participants will be encouraged to support the bid and share pictures on social media tagging @durban2022 and using the #readytoinspire
The activities for Saturday began at 9am and ends at 12pm. The action at Kings Park stadium begin at 11 am till 3pm where organizers of the bid will be handing out information to spectators for the Sharks vs Crusaders match.
On Sunday, 5 April, there will be a Picnic Day at the Moses Mabhida Stadium from 11.30am till 5pm.
There will be puppets and face painters inside the Durban Picnic Day event accompanied by music and dancing. The bid organizers be creating awareness of the Durban 2022 bid and handing out merchandise to children.
“This is a tremendous opportunity for us, as the Bid Compnay to interact with the various communities in Durban, especially the young people, who will be at the forefront of the Games. Theses young people will embody the spirit of the Games of 2022”, said Mr Tubby Reddy, Ceo of the Commonwealth Games Bid Company.
“We call on the people of Durban to come out on Saturday and Sunday to show their support for the Bid and to participate in activities that would raise greater awareness as well as enjoying the events that have been organized for the children of Durban”, Reddy added.